Version: 120205 – Feb 05, 2012
- Particulars now include center of gravity of the design
Version: 120126 – Jan 26, 2012
- The separate program, BearboatPrintMacPC has been written. This program is used to produce life-size paper templates of the cross-sections of a design from files created by BearboatSP. BearboatPrint is the program that was previously available for this task. It was a PC program only. The big bonus of BearboatPrintMacPC is that it is also available for the Macintosh.
Version: 111215 – Dec 15, 2011
Version: 111211 – Dec 11, 2011
- Problem with corruption of the deck profile etc. when opening files of varying ages
Version: 111209 - Dec 09, 2011
- Inability to successfully open BearboatPro files. This bug was introduced inadvertently and I did not understand its full extent because I was not using this functionality. I apologize for the delay in fixing this.
Version: 100524 - May 24, 2010
- Ruler in some design windows
Version: 100516 - May 16, 2010
- More significant bugs in the tweaking part of the program
Version: 100513 - May 13, 2010
- Make the Windows experience in the Stability Analysis Window better (major rewrite for a minor visual change and some potential to have introduced bugs so watch out.)
- Problem with files that were created that could not be read off disk from the Open Design… button
Version: 100512 - May 12, 2010
- Minor changes in the tweaking and stability part of the program.
Notice to long time users
- The user may get an error message contending that the data file (BBMemory) is out of date.
The cure is to find this file on your computer and delete it. This program will then create a new one when you restart it.
The program will have lost its memory of recent designs, but those designs themselves can be found using the Open Design... button and the usual file navigation.
The BBMemory file on Windows is stored at this location (user / Application Data / BearboatSP / BBMemory).
The BBMemory file on Macintosh is stored at this location (user / Library / Application Support / BearboatSP / BBMemory).
This is explained in the Manual under the heading -- FILES IN BEARBOATSP
Go to this location and trash this file (BBMemory). When you restart BearboatSP, that file will be recreated. Your designs will no longer be listed in the beginning window, but these designs are not really gone. They are still in the folder BearboatDesigns which is in the location (WINDOWS -- user / Application Data / BearboatSP / BearboatDesigns) or (MACINTOSH -- user / Library / Application Support / BearboatSP / BearboatDesigns). Use the Open Design… button in the beginning window of BearboatSP and navigate to that location to find your designs.
Version: 100509 - May 09, 2010
- More significant bug fixes in the tweaking part of the program.
Version: 100507 - May 07, 2010
- More significant bug fixes in the tweaking part of the program.
Version: 100506 - May 06, 2010
- Significant bug fixes in the tweaking part of the program.
Version: 100504 - May 04, 2010
- Tweaking is a new feature of BearboatSP being introduced with this version. The code here has not been extensively tested. The purpose of tweaking is to allow the designer to make final slight adjustments in the design of a kayak that are not possible with the fundamental tools of BearboatSP. It follows the basic methods used in designing the deck profile. There is a brief explanation of tweaking in the current version of the manual. Tweaking is being introduced for the use of the early adaptors. The user interface is somewhat primitive. I have personally needed this functionality for the design of my current kayak. The code has matured just sufficiently to make it useable, but it is not close to being finalized. In the later parts of the year, I would hope to bring the user interface up to the level of the user interface elsewhere in BearboatSP.
Version: 100311 - Mar 11, 2010
- Alternate ways to evaluate stability. This will be of more use when the manual is prepared and this topic is explained. The Analysis > Stability creates the stability data for the current design. Analysis > Classic Stability Compare allows comparison of various designs that have been evaluated in the past using the usual (classic) stability curves. Analysis > CB Velocity Stability Compare and Analysis > Friction Stability Compare are alternate ways to evaluate the stability of a design. A full explanation will be in the manual when it is updated. These are formulations of my own prompted by deficiencies in the classic stability curves when applied to kayaks. The Analysis > CB Velocity Stability is, in particular, of value.
Version: 091120 - Nov 20, 2009
- Bezier Deck values would not stick in on Windows
- Intermittent crashes after choosing a new design on Windows
Version: 091106 - Nov 6, 2009
- Problem with setting preferences on Windows machines
Version: 090516 - May 16, 2009
- Problem with color assignments to the prior stability graphs
Version: 090503 - May 03, 2009
- More problems with changing the length of the kayak corrected
- Problems with changing the shape of the rocker corrected
Version: 090422 - Apr 22, 2009
- Problems with changing the length of the kayak corrected
Version: 090325 - Mar 25, 2009
- Elusive bug that would sometimes cause crash after making changes in Sideview
Version: 090311 - Mar 11, 2009
- Problems with changing the height of the bow and stern corrected
Version: 090310 - Mar 10, 2009
- Problems with Preferences corrected
Version: 090309 - Mar 09, 2009
- Particulars now include the value of the entire surface of the kayak
- Particulars now include the displacement at waterlines 5 mm apart
Version: 090301 - Mar 01, 2009
- Crashing bug when deleting deck point.
Version: 090228 - Feb 28, 2009
- Crashing bug caused under some circumstances by changing the length of the design has been squashed.
- The BearboatSP manual prepared. Still needs some work, but documents most of the features of BearboatSP.
Version: 090226 - Feb 26, 2009
- KAPER: The user can manually enter relevant parameters of a design created elsewhere and the resistance data on that kayak will be created and stored. The user can thus compare his design with commercial designs if the relevant parameters are available.
- Built-in help with avoiding storage of duplicate information in the Stability part of BBMemory. If a design has the same name as one previously stored and its curve is identical to one previously stored, then the program will not place the data in BBMemory. Remember, that it is always possible to manually remove individual stability curves from memory if they are no longer needed and are perceived as just cluttering things
- To take advantage of this upgrade, it is necessary for current users to remove their BBMemory file so the program can create a new one with the newer format that is now being used. This will mean that the user will lose all his calculated Stability and KAPER data, as that is stored in BBMemory. The designs themselves are not lost, although you will have to navigate to these designs using the Open button which uses the Open File Dialog of your operating system.
The document on the download page that explains the new BearboatSP file organization will explain where the BBMemory file is so it can be removed. If the program starts without the BBMemory file in place, it will create a new one, which is what you want in this circumstance. This document also explains where any designs that you may have worked on are located so you can open them from the program.
Version: 090224 - Feb 24, 2009
- KAPER: help with avoiding storing duplicate information
- Correction of problems with resizing the Sideview window
Version: 090223 - Feb 23, 2009
- KAPER now has no known bugs
- If a single design is graphed, the frictional resistance and residual resistance also shown.
- Designs can be removed from the KAPER listing
- A note can be attached to a KAPER kayak
Version: 090222 - Feb 22, 2009
- KAPER much more useable, but still not bug free. Some additional functionality.
- If the list of kayaks is sorted in the KAPER window, then the link between the kayak and its resistance graph is lost.
Version: 090218 - Feb 18, 2009
- KAPER introduced
- First Windows version created
New Features (since BearboatPro)
- Stability Comparison window to compare many designs
- KAPER (KAyakPERformance) window to compare many designs
- BBMemory - program now has a memory of previous sessions
- Easier entry into a new design
- New file organization